7 Layer Bean Dip Recipe
BY : JASON STEWART
For your Sunday Super Bowl part'ay!
Don’t buy 7 layer dip at the store, obviously it tastes awful regardless of the fact that I can’t stop eating it. This recipe adds pickles, which seems strange but I think works perfectly for an acidic kick that plays well with taco seasoning flavors. I use greek yogurt that’s been bumped up with cilantro and lime for the “white” layer, your body will thank you for not shoveling 600 calories worth of supermarket sour cream down your gullet. Making the beans ahead of time, even the day before, and letting them cool, will help their flavors improve over time. You can use store bought guacamole if you’d like, the Trader Joe’s pre made guac sacks actually aren’t THAT bad if you’re lazy, but making it fresh is always the best. Make sure you season every layer with salt, just a lil bit. The fastest way for a 7 layer dip to fall flat is lack of salt, don’t go crazy, but don’t be shy either ;).
1 can refried beans 16 oz
1 packet of store bought taco seasoning (using only 1 ½ tbsp tho)
1 medium to large white onion – ¾ for beans ¼ raw for dip
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Finely dice white onion, use ¾ of them for beans
- Finely chop garlic
- Heat two tablespoons of unsalted butter on low-medium heat until melted.
- Sauté onions and garlic, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until cooked through but not browned, lower heat if needed.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp taco seasoning and stir to combine thoroughly, cook down about 2 minutes.
- Add beans and stir that thoroughly to combine everything, let cool. Can be made ahead and will for sure taste better.
Cilantro Lime Yogurt
16 oz Full Fat greek Yogurt
Juice of one lime
Zest of one lime
One bunch of cilantro finely chopped (just under a cup or so)
½ tsp kosher salt
6 good cracks of black pepper
*Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stir thoroughly and let sit in the fridge for an hour*
The Other Stuff:
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (not low fat)
1 cup finely chopped tomato
1 cup finely chopped dill pickles (not bread and butter, you freak)
The remaining ¼ white onion finely diced, raw
10 oz of guacamole
1 cup green onion finely diced
- Layer beans on the bottom of your clear dish, a rubber spatula makes it easy
- Layer raw white onions
- Layer Guacamole
- Layer Tomatoes
- Layer Pickles
- Layer Cilantro Lime Yogurt
- Layer shredded cheese
- Layer green onions